You have attended prenatal classes, read books, received advice from family and friends. You have consulted with your caregiver yet still feel a little apprehensive on how you will cope with the discomforts of labour.
TENS stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. TENS is a drug free, non-invasive pain management tool that has been shown to be effective for many applications. Low-voltage electrical pulses are used to stimulate the nervous system. This is achieved via soft conductive pads that are placed on the skin.
We can help if you would like to:
- reduce or eliminate the amount of pain medication required
- have a non invasive form of relief that has no side effects for you or your baby
- begin relieving your discomfort while still at home
- be fully mobile and feel in control of your labour discomfort
- have some control over the discomforts of labour before you have an Epidural
- arrive at the Hospital calm, relaxed, and ready for the special occasion
All TENS are not created equal.
What is the difference between your TENS and other TENS machines?
1. FreeMOM was designed specifically for Obstetrics and is the only TENS to have been Hospital trialled for efficacy (see reference material).
2. Our 2 large labour electrodes cover all of the nerve routes to the uterus and cervix unlike others which use 4 small electrodes that cover a much smaller area.
3. FreeMOM is simple to use as it has only 2 parameters (amplitude control and booster button).
How does it work?
Pain is the body’s warning system that registers in the brain as an unpleasant sensation. Pain messages are triggered by receptors in our skin, muscles, ligaments, back, etc. These messages are transported via nerves to the spinal cord and then to the brain where the sensation is registered.
The electrical signal generated by the TENS device can partially block pain signals and reduce the severity of pain experienced by the individual.
This ‘partially shuts the gate on the pain messages’ and prevents them from reaching the brain. TENS stimulates the release of endorphins from the brain. Endorphins are our bodies own natural pain relieving compounds. As an additional feature, the patented TENS ‘R’ US electrical waveform, promotes the ongoing release of endorphins with prolonged TENS use.
FreeMOM sends small, safe, electrical signals into the body via electrodes which are placed on the skin. The stimulus aids the relief of pain in 3 ways:
1. By blocking the pain messages from reaching the brain via the nerves.
2. By stimulating the release of the body’s naturally occurring pain-relieving endorphins.
3. By providing a distraction while the pain is occurring.
Is it safe?
There are no side-effects to mother or baby with the use of FreeMOM TENS. The effects of the FreeMOM are temporary.
The feeling experienced is a mild to strong yet comfortable “tingling” sensation with use of FreeMOM. You are always in control of the FreeMOM TENS.
Is it effective?
Women who received TENS pre-natal education prior to the use of the FreeMOM TENS for their labour, rated it as 92% effective for pain relief with 34% of all users requiring nothing else but the FreeMOM TENS as their only source of pain relief during labour.